A few notes and reminders for our local residents and second home property owners for Spring 2016:
1. Our annual Spruce Up for Spring has kicked into high gear. After months of blustery winter weather conditions, we have work crews all over the City making way for a spectacular summer.
- Re-planting City parks, walkways and the Village
- Doing extensive pothole repairs and re-paving
- Improving trails, pathways, and lake access points
2. Construction Projects will remain underway throughout the summer to build a better Big Bear for the future:
- Undergrounding of all utility poles and overhead wires along Big Bear Blvd. Work and traffic interruptions will be limited to Monday morning and conclude by 12 noon on Friday during this period. The goal is to put all electric, gas, water, telephone and cable facilities underground in anticipation of the rebuilding & repaving for the entire 4 lane highway in 2017
- Two new Village area public parking lots will be built this summer to add nearly 200 free parking spaces. These will be located on Knickerbocker Road and Pennsylvania Avenue on the east side of the Village
- Overlay and reconstructed street construction projects in our residential neighborhoods will continue as part of our Pavement Management program. Since 2006, we have rebuilt nearly 48% of City streets. This summer will add 3 additional streets to that inventory
3. We have found help for those homeowners looking to go green and capture extensive savings through solar installations. Unfortunately an extremely high demand for homeowner assistance cause Bear Valley Electric Service (BVES), our local electric company to run out of funds to assist in solar installations.
- The City is intending to pursue additional funding to be allocated to the solar program during their next Public Utilities Commission rate case review. During the interim, homeowners may wish to pursue the alternate local solar program in our area known as the Home Energy Renovation Opportunity (HERO): http://www.heroprogram.com/ca/Sanbernardino
- Mountain Transit, our local transit system, recently purchased a new Trolley
vehicle to expand capacity and provides a wonderful weekend trolley service with frequent pick up schedules. Download the trolley guide: http://mountaintransit.org/route/big-bear-weekend-trolley/
- Mountain Area Transportation Study (MATS) – Take a look behind the scene of the work we’re conducting during this year with Caltrans, California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department and other organizations located over in Lake Arrowhead and Crestline to streamline and improve traffic management for the winter: http://sanbag.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.htmlid=9071c72901974486873fbfce3e9f9d14