Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) and the Big Bear Lake Tourism Business Improvement District (BBLTBID) assessments are remitted on a monthly basis. TOT is a tax levied on visitors renting overnight accommodations on a short-term basis (less than 28 days). Out of the 8% levied from overnight accommodations, 6% is deposited into the City’s General Fund to provide for police, public works, general administration, and community development, and 2% is deposited in the City’s Capital Improvement Fund to be used for infrastructure and community enhancements. Ordinance No. 2021-497, adopted on October 4, 2021 amends Title 3, Chapter 3.20 Transient Occupancy Tax.
Big Bear Lake Tourism Business Improvement District (BBLTBID) assessments are collected by the City on behalf of Visit Big Bear. These pass-through assessments are a funding mechanism used to provide a specific benefit (e.g., marketing) to assessed businesses. Funds generated by the assessment are used by Visit Big Bear to enhance the guest experience and attract visitors in off-peak seasons through destination marketing. There are two types of businesses from which BBLTBID assessments are collected: Short-term overnight accommodations (hotels, lodges, camps, and vacation rentals) are assessed at a rate of 3% of gross receipts and a 2% assessment is levied on all lift tickets and annual pass sales at Big Bear Mountain Resorts. Resolution No. 2016-08, adopted on March 14, 2016 for a 5-year term beginning April 1, 2016; renewed by Resolution No. 2021-28 adopted on 3/8/2021 for a 10-year term beginning April 1, 2021.
The City Council meetings where these actions took place can be viewed online on the meetings archive page & minutes of these meetings are also available here.
REPORT TOT/TBID & REMIT PAYMENT
Click the link below to report your TOT/TBID and remit payment on our new online portal GovPilot!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- When are the due dates? TOT/BBLTBID remittances are due the last day of the month, following the end of the reporting month. For example, the 1st calendar month of each year (January) is due on the last day of February. Postmarks are accepted. If the City of Big Bear Lake does not receive your TOT/BBLTBID payment by the due date, penalties & interest will apply.
- What is subject to TOT and TBID? The following is a list of fees, by the way of example, that must be included in the gross receipts and are therefore subject to TOT and BBLTBID. This is not meant to be a comprehensive list. Please email the Tourism Management Department if you have any questions regarding any non-refundable, nondiscretionary fees that your establishment may be charging. Examples include: Booking fees, management fees, cleaning fees, damage waiver fees, spa fees, reservation fees, pet deposits/fees, linen fees, maid fees, administration fees, non-refundable deposits, credit card usage fees, utility fees/surcharges
When will my online platform begin submitting my taxes and BBLTBID on my behalf? The hosting platforms will begin submitting for all periods after January 1, 2022. Therefore, owners and agents still need to submit for themselves the 4th quarter of 2021. At this time, Airbnb has not agreed to collect and remit TBID. Therefore, owners utilizing Airbnb will still be required to remit TBID forms and payments even beyond 2022. VRBO and HomeAway (Expedia Group) has agreed to collect and remit both TOT and TBID on behalf of their owners. Agents and owners are still obligated to collect and remit TOT and TBID directly to the City for reservations booked outside an online platform.
All TOT and BBLTBID registrants are encouraged to contact the Tourism Management Department for further clarification and/or specific questions.
- TOT/BBLTBID Remittance Form
- TOT-TBID Remittance Due Dates
- Airbnb Instructions for TBID Assessment
- TOT/BBLTBID Refund Request email completed form and supporting documentation to
Phone: (909) 866-5831 x 114
Fax: (909) 866-7511
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
39707 Big Bear Boulevard
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
City of Big Bear Lake
PO Box 10000
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315