- Vacation rental must be located in Big Bear Lake jurisdiction (zip code 92315). Homes located outside of this zip code must contact San Bernardino County to register. Please feel free to contact the City of Big Bear Lake to verify the location of your property if needed.
- Apply & Submit a Vacation Rental Program Registration Application. Click here to download the Registration application. Effective September 15, 2021, all applications must include proof of property insurance. This insurance coverage must show premises liability. New owners are required to provide proof of ownership. This can be a recorded deed or final closing statement from escrow. If ownership is under a trust, LLC, etc., documentation must be included to show all people involved with that entity. Additionally, if owners allow friends and family members to use the property without charging any fees (including cleaning fee), then a Friends and Family form should be submitted with the application or emailed to the address on the form. Click here to download the Friends and Family Form.
- Submit payment ($550 for the Vacation Rental Permit). Click here to make a payment.
Vacation Rental Registration Application: Click on the "Community Services/Code" department, and select the payment item titled "Transient Private Home Rental Application". You will be asked to type the address of your rental property, and the $550 fee should auto-populate.
If you are participating in the noise monitoring fee credit program, DO NOT submit payment. Include the proof of purchase or invoice of one of the approved systems with your registration application. Staff will verify and then direct you to make a payment. No refunds will be provided.
- Pass a Home Inspection. Once the City receives your initial application, you will be required to pass a home inspection. You will be emailed about scheduling your home inspection once your application is fully processed by staff. Please note: If you do not pass your first inspection, you will be given a set amount of time to complete any needed corrections. A second inspection can be scheduled by sending an email to . Click here to download the Rental Inspection Form. Please be advised, the registration and inspection process can take 2-4 weeks to complete. You are NOT allowed to rent your home during this period.
Owner and Agent Certification. All agents (check-in, 24/7 response, and management company staff) and owners (except those who hire a full-service management company and never rent the property on their own) must be certified by the City annually. Certification is currently in the form of a 25 question exam that must be passed with a 100% score. The answers to the questions can be found in the new vacation rental ordinance passed by City Council on 8/16/20. The ordinance can be downloaded from the link at the top of this page. Please include a copy of the Certificate with your application. There is no longer a requirement for a notarized affidavit to be submitted.
- Good Neighbor Policy needs to be signed by all guests. Effective September 15, 2021, a Good Neighbor Policy must be signed by each responsible party during the in-person check-in process and prior to occupancy. A temporary policy can be downloaded and printed as a tri-fold brochure if printed double-sided. Alternatively, there is an MS Word version that can be used to copy and paste the rules into an electronic version for your check-in process and to insert into your rental agreement. Additionally, this version can serve as the internal notice that must be posted inside the residence in a visible place for the guests. Remember that a signed version of the Good Neighbor Policy must be presented to the City upon request.
- Remit Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) On a Monthly Basis. You are required to collect and remit 11% of your gross receipts monthly. You will receive an email about 1 month prior to the due date notifying you that your TOT/BBLTBID remittance is due. For questions regarding taxes and the remittance forms, please contact Laura Knotts at (909) 866-5831 ext. 114. Click here for more information regarding TOT and TBID.
Phone: (909) 866-5831 x 116
Fax: (909) 866-7511
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
39707 Big Bear Boulevard
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315
City of Big Bear Lake
PO Box 10000
Big Bear Lake, CA 92315